Share a significant memory of a Spanish Camp resident! Post your answer!
There are many folks that I can remember clearly, but my most vivid memories are of my grandparents' contemporaries. Most were people who were comfortable with themselves, and walked through life (and Spanish Camp) with apparent ease and confidence. I spent many an afternoon at my grandfather's side as he played poker, seated at the picnic table behind our bungalow. The participants were men who played a low-stakes game very seriously. They smoked as they played, and I looked at my grandfather's hand as he puffed on his Marlboro's, attempting to understand the mysteries of the red and black cards he held. Their play was punctuated with cards thrown on the table with a flourish, and the occasional expletive...in Spanish, of course. My grandfather would show me his cards and wink at me, apparently thinking I understood the importance of what I saw. I smiled back and nodded, afraid he would detect my ignorance. The game meant little to me. Leaning against my grandfather's shoulder was what mattered.
Thursday, December 20, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Spanish Camp was my playground, the bungalow was base. we too had numerous family members under one roof, 3 generations living together. I didnt feel it crowded till I got older but as a child, it was just fine. Breakfast was exciting, one of the adults trying to juggle pot & pans to get food on the table for who ever was up, in bathing suit and ready for the outdoors. Most of my day was outside looking for the next adventure and itwas mostly with the company of my best friend,Dooley. We did everything together. We spent hours looking for skinny, blabk slippery eels by the shore line under the rocks. I still remember how great it was to lift a rock and see about 10 of them trying to get away. I'll never forget those times.
Post a Comment